Theology and Biblical Studies
In-depth exploration of scripture, doctrine, culture, and mission
All of the KST tracks provide a thorough grounding in theology, biblical studies, history, culture and mission. They are designed to equip you through in-depth teaching, practical studies, tailored assignments and a supportive learning environment.
This track is for people who:
- want a thorough grounding in theology, which covers all the major disciplines of biblical studies, doctrine, history, and practical theology.
- seek to be equipped to lead, teach, and communicate theologically
- are involved in any area of ministry or mission
- desire theological training which will equip them to learn for themselves and lead others
All students in the first year of KST follow the same curriculum, with customised breakout sessions and seminars for each of the tracks.
In the first year you will study:
- God’s Big Story: Bible Overview
- God’s Word Our Tools: Introduction to theology and the tools for interpreting Scripture
- Practical Theology: how to learn on the go
- God: Trinity, Character, Mission
- The Life and Work of Jesus
- The Holy Spirit
We complement this with a study skills programme, designed to give all students the skills you need to succeed with the academic aspects of the course.
Second and Third year
In the second and third year, the curriculum diversifies and four of the modules are tailored to your track. The Theology and Biblical Studies track continues to meet in the same centres as the first years (other tracks have occasional weekends in other venues).
- Paul: Man, Message and Mission
- Genesis 1-11
- Prophets and Prophetic Life
- Church History: until the Reformation
- Christian Ethics
- Ecclesiology – the church
- The Kingdom of God and Mission
- Church History: Reformation and Revival
- Engaging in Western Culture
Additional Topics Specific to this Track:
- Psalms and Wisdom Literature
- John’s Gospel
- The Bible for the Church
The Theology and Biblical Studies Track gives you:
- Confidence and clarity over the story of scripture
- Ability to equip the church with biblical truth
- Communication skills – written and spoken
- Ability to weigh different perspectives, think critically, and come to conclusions
- Research skills and a passion for study, equipping you for lifelong learning
Track Leader – Barnabas Aspray
Barney Aspray is the Track leader for Theology and Biblical Studies. Our Track Leaders head up the development, structure and delivery of the specialist areas within KST. They take a lead in mentoring, tutoring and teaching, and bring specialist expertise to the team. The elements of KST which all students take are led by Mark Norridge and the tutoring team.
Barney lives in Cambridge where he is took an M.Phil in Theology & Religious Studies and is currently writing his doctorate. Before that he completed the MA in Biblical Studies at Regent College, Vancouver and is part of Community Church Harlesden.
A web developer by trade, Barney is a KST tutor and mentor and runs the King’s Theology twitter and facebook feeds.