Building church that reflects the diversity of your neighbourhood
A KST SHORT COURSE
God’s heart is to see people of all nationalities and cultures united in worshiping and serving Him. Yet whilst our churches often seek to be welcoming, they can often be unintentionally dominated by the culture and practices of one group. Building church communities in which people of all nationalities genuinely feel welcomed, included and ‘heard’ can be a challenge. How do we worship in a way that is accessible to all? And build leadership teams that reflect many cultures not just the dominant one?
This course will address why building intercultural churches is important, giving you a biblical and practical understanding to underpin your church’s outreach, structures and ministry. It will include interactive exercises and case studies from experienced practitioners to help you move forward. From how to structure worship to building diverse leadership teams, this course will help you to build church that is genuinely intercultural.
Each session will draw on a number of strands:
- Definition of intercultural church and why it is a biblical imperative.
- Biblical survey – learning the blessings and challenges of building intercultural churches, from Jesus’ teaching, Luke’s narrative in Acts, and the New Testament letters.
- The central importance of heart attitude.
- Developing cultural awareness and understanding.
- Case studies of intercultural churches and the practical issues they have encountered.
Resources which you can reuse in your church will be provided.
One session will be led by Jessie Tang of Songs2Serve to explore the practice and principles of intercultural worship.
This course is ideal for church leaders and volunteers who are wrestling with this challenge, or wanting to.
- Know what an intercultural church is (what your church could become).
- See & feel the Biblical imperative to become more intercultural as a church.
- Assess & address heart attitudes (individual and as a church) necessary to becoming more intercultural.
- Build cultural understanding and awareness of your own cultural assumptions, and how the gospel communicates across cultures and critiques all cultures.
- Learn from practical experience how to build a more intercultural church.
|Course duration:||6 sessions|
|Course dates:||Wednesdays 7 June – 12 July 2023|
|Cost:||£89.50, including resources and access to interactive participant-only website|
|Booking deadline||Midday on Weds 31st May 2023|
Group discounts and bursaries* are available for this course:
- Book for two people get 10% off each – £80.55 each
- Book for three people get 20% off – £71.60 each
- Book for four people get 30% off – £62.65 each
- Book for five people get 40% off – £53.70 each
Please note: if booking in a group, each participant should complete the booking form separately.
* Bursaries are available to help those who cannot afford the full fee. To enquire, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Tutors
Tim McMahon is a Mission Trainer for the mission agency Serving In Mission UK, and the UK Director for Eurasian Ministries, a ministry supporting the training of missionaries for Muslim regions in Central Asia. From 1995 Tim engaged in evangelism of Muslims from a church in the East End of London; pastored a church in Essex; trained preachers on the Cornhill Training Course; and helped develop the training of missionaries for Muslim regions in Central Asia from a college in Russia. These days Tim spends splits his time between helping UK churches engage in cross-cultural evangelism and ministry on their doorsteps and developing missionary training in Central Asia.
Adam Martin leads Intercultural Churches UK. With his wife Karina, he has over 25 years of cross-cultural experience and leadership with 4 church plants in the UK and abroad. Together they pioneered an intercultural church in central Derby before joining the leadership team of ‘Reach’ – a multi-site church based in the East Midlands.
Familiar with the joys and challenges of church leadership and planting, Adam loves encouraging other leaders and sharing the vision for a diverse and integrated church.
Book here (click to expand)
When making an online payment for this course, please use the following code with the attendee’s surname: SC22IC-surname
Terms and Conditions
Click here for KST Short Course Terms & Conditions[Title image by Tina Floersch at Unsplash]